Saturday, December 17, 2016

Fergie - 'Big Girls Don't Cry (Personal)' from The Dutchess (2006)

If there are any constants in this universe, one of them most certainly be the fact that for an entire decade now, Fergie's 'Big Girls Don't Cry (Personal)' has made me weep openly in every Walgreens and CVS I have ever heard it in, which is the only place I ever listen to this song. Generally I am already sick or otherwise compromised because I am in a Walgreens or CVS at some inopportune time with tears streaming down my face. It is true that I was probably going through a major breakup the first time this happened in 2006 and immediately afterward I would sing this song to my cat Ana, telling her that big cats don't cry which is of course, nonsense. I have only watched this video like 3 times ever and although I understand Bush II era fashion in the inside-out way that only PTSD can bring, this presents edge-of-visual-acceptability-level affronts at every turn, although I do like the DIO sticker on that acoustic guitar. The lost-in-00's junkyard/meth cataclysm surrounding this song is made all the more ominous by continual references about getting home before darkness falls. Sprawling into an endless lateral abyss is pretty much what Bush II America felt like, of which this is clearly a profound exemplar. it is ok for big cats to cry! <3 <3 <3 nathaxn

No comments:

Post a Comment