Sunday, December 25, 2016

Run The Jewels - RTJ3

Like many people around the world, today is being celebrated as the arrival of RTJ3 everywhere. I was and am a big fan of RTJ2, for which I also have a pretty warm and oversize hoodie purchased for Minneapolis winters. On my first two listens, my only actual complaint with RTJ3 is "Let Trina RAP!!!!! Come ON!" but otherwise this has a more low-key psychedelic, refracting quality than earlier noisy/abrasive trax, more laid back and letting the hallucinogens kick in and letting a melancholy-but-not-depressed vibe creep in that might also have something to do with deepening middle-age in looming neofascist totalitarianism. I especially dig the acid-squelch and psych-jazz gtrs undergirding and crawling up surfaces. Also, and I might be crazy, but I hear some 90's Timbaland/Neptunes in places. Typically, I like to have a few listens to let RTJ settle with me and their commitment to making rap albums is appreciated by old fogeys like me. Here is the full album stream: Also here is the website link to free album download! https://runthejewels.com/ PS These are my 3 immediate favorites from RTJ3: Two singles and one more: (Hey is it just me or does 2100 not have a kind of gospel-doom-Evanescence feel to it? heart Evanescence)

No comments:

Post a Comment