Saturday, May 2, 2020

on not being a man in a dress

you know, also, i think about this 'man in a dress' thing a lot. it was this very thing that held me back from being able to fully achieve transition in the 90's. in the eighties and nineties, goth and grunge fashion offered a vision of a softer, prettier man who could wear makeup and dresses in the wake of glam rock. the very existence of the 'man in a dress' from bowie to kurdt, made me wonder if i were not just also a man in a dress, one that liked pretty things, just another fashion choice, comfortable in my maleness. for years i bought into that myth and it hurt me. i had known since the eighties that i was a girl/woman and the lack of any sort of reflection of that in my environment made me keep it to myself in fact, how would that even make sense?
i began wearing skirts and dresses in the early nineties to alleviate gender dysphoria. i felt so much calmer, so much more myself. i wasn't rebelling. i wasn't drawing attention to the artificiality of clothing. these are, however, the ways in which even i was invited to read my own actions.
life would have been a lot easier if i was a man in a dress. i tried to be just that for so long. in the 00's i tried to be a man who used to wear dresses. that was the worst. i would tell people wistfully about when i wore dresses and skirts, not ever imagining i could still do it, that i could have kept going to work, that i could have been seen by others as a woman.
i am not someone who is aspiring to be a woman. i know i am a woman because i am someone who tried very very hard not to be one for a long long time.
also, you know what sucks about being a little trans girl in the seventies/eighties? M.A.S.H. reruns. talk about internalized transphobia. i thought of that all the time as a kid when i thought about putting on a dress. that i would be read that way. seen as a man in a dress. i knew i wasn't so it kept me from it.

No comments:

Post a Comment