Friday, February 5, 2016

Deftones - 'Prayers/Triangles' from Gore (2016)

Deftones have been one of my favorite bands now for almost 20 years. I am very pleased to be listening to the first single from Gore, 'Prayers/Triangles', the vibe and vocal orientation of which initially reminds me of something off of their self-titled album from 2003, with the twangly gtr parts on top interacting with the stopped-time static-gaze textures beneath/later, the harsh-ish compressed distortion on the vokills in places, and the riptides hidden within and under the under. What I dig is that multiple listens offer previously unheard details. There is a romantic and spreading ache throughout. I LOVE Koi No Yokan, and have no real ultimate expectations for this one until I hear it in full, but April 8, 2016 cannot get here soon enough for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment