Saturday, January 16, 2016

Candlemass - 'The Dying Illusion' from Chapter VI (1992)

I LOVE Chapter VI by Candlemass. Thomas Vikstrom's vocals really complement the more trad/power metal orientation to the project of doom, with outstanding keyboard flourishes/atmosphere. I had never seen this video before today and it got me wondering about a lot of things. First of all, how many Candlemass fans are in fact vampires? More than you might think, I suppose. Is this their favorite album by Candlemass? Secondly, Thomas Vikstrom's t-shirt in this video seems beyond ludicrously ignorant in 1992, to the point of being offensive. I mean, how many rappers in 1992 wore t-shirts in videos that said 'F**ck Doom Metal!'??? if you can find me one, I would love to see it. Were they concerned that Ice-T sampling Sabbath was going to put them out of business or something? How LAME! Thirdly, I kind of like how urban bar-scene this video is, and how it might make you paranoid that fighting with your significant other whilst out for drinks will get them led away by vampires. Beware!

No comments:

Post a Comment