Thursday, January 28, 2016

Ted Nugent - 'Stranglehold' Live On The Midnight Special 1978

For duelling/complementary guitar tone/texture/extended leads, this rivals Skynyrd's various cotemporaneous 'Freebird' tv appearances in awesomeness. As far as the sexual/personal politics of 'Stranglehold' go, I cannot claim to understand them, let alone feel comfortable with them (like who has who in a stranglehold? whose face is being crushed? other than mine, which is definitely being crushed? most welcomely I might add?), although what I really like is that Ted tells the crowd that THEY have HIM in a stranglehold of Fan Appreciation? which is pretty rad. Also, the list of bands and figures that Ted shouts out are like Napalm Death liner notes in 1990. Ted was on this special with Aerosmith, AC/DC, Cheap Trick, Thin Lizzy, Golden Earring and Wolfman Jack. That is kind of crazy, right? I heard 'Stranglehold' most recently like a month ago over the end credits of Ash Vs. Evil Dead, a show that really uses 70's metal to its advantage, and I haven't been able to get it out of my consciousness by any means available. One of the great guitar epics of all time. Extra Midnight Special 1978: Cheap Trick playing one of my favorite Cheap Trick Songs: We're All Alright! We're All Alright!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment