Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Lalo Schifrin - Rejected Exorcist Score (circa 1973)

As much as I dig Mike Oldfield, who is rad, Lalo Schifrin's score for The Exorcist is one of his greatest pieces of music, jarring and clattering and resonating, with orchestral scrapes and drags and stabs, harp discordances underneath uneasy drones. Apparently, this score was blamed for test audiences losing it in front of the 'banned trailer' of The Exorcist. I would still really dig having seen this version of the movie. And I agree, almost unbearably frightening. I saw a piece about this in The Quietus, which led to an article in Dangerous Minds, and then went to YT and saw I had already bookmarked it from some prior notification but never dug into it. Don't be like me. Listen to this, no matter what you are doing right now, keep doing it, but do it to Lalo Schifrin's rejected Exorcist score. Trust me that it will make that activity far more absorbing and potentially terrifying than it already is. Here is the 'banned trailer' w/ the Schifrin score: This by the way, is now my favorite trailer for anything, even better than the Spring Breakers trailer which has James Franco jumping on a bed to the sick drops of Skrillex, and Britney jamz.

No comments:

Post a Comment