Saturday, January 9, 2016

M. Night Shyamalan - The Visit (2015)

It is not a secret that I love every M. Night Shyamalan movie I have seen, with the possible exception of Signs. It is true that I haven't seen Avatar: The Last Airbender, After Earth, or Devil, which he wrote but didn't direct. I watched about half of Wayward Pines, which he executive produced. It was good but I have a hard time with TV. Signs I am still not feeling since I saw it in the theatre, but I LOVE The Sixth Sense, Unbreakable, The Village, Lady In The Water, The Happening and The Visit to pieces. In fact, I would go so far as to say that The Visit is now my favorite M. Night Shyamalan movie. In fact, the procession of films above to me seems like steady improvement, the finding of his specific storytelling voice. Each of those films is better than the last, and The Visit is the best of them all. It has the most maximum effects for the least strain, is the most organically whole cloth of the works at hand, and is an outright horror film, which has not up until now, been Shyamalan's mode of directing, but he is good at it. Really good. I was freaked out in places, and I generally don't get freaked out, and not by things leaping out, but by an ever-ratcheting awareness of badness-at-hand. The Visit is a resounding success as far as I am concerned and would gladly see it again. I didn't see a lot of 2015 movies in 2015, but this is one of the very best of the year, and best horror films this decade. I am eagerly awaiting M. Night's next movie! (Generally I would put up the trailer, but honestly, this is best gone into as cold as possible, and the trailer works against this to an unfortunate degree!)

No comments:

Post a Comment