Monday, December 14, 2015

Ben Wheatley's J.G. Ballard's High Rise Teaser Trailer

'High Rise' was the first J.G. Ballard book I ever read, and the above edition was the one which I got from a used paperback store in high school. I wish I still had my copy, especially as I found out just now it was the first British Paperback Edition. Oh Well. Tempus Fugit and all that. 'High Rise' was everything I wanted in a science-fiction novel. It was funny, it was savage, it was rooted both in the immediate present and also an indefinable, hallucinatory near-future. It felt entirely real, but wasn't strictly concerned with realism or with tiresome projection. I was not the same person exactly after reading 'High Rise', but I was more like myself than I had been prior, if that makes any sense. What is funny, is that this is the experience I have had with Ben Wheatley's movies, in particular 'Kill List' and 'A Field In England' were exactly films I had been craving in my life without knowing it until they came upon me and now they are part of my psychic architecture. I honestly can't think of anyone better to make a J.G. Ballard adaptation than Ben Wheatley. I think that he is deservedly in the august company of Cronenberg, who truly gets Ballard's vision, and whose 'Crash' is now 20 years old. Whenever I read any press about 'High Rise' I hear how 'mixed' or 'lukewarm' the reception has been, but I am undissuaded. Along with 'The Witch' and Rob Zombie's '31', 'High Rise' is my most anticipated film of 2016. I haven't been watching movies these days, and really need to catch up on stuff, particularly 'The Krampus' before XMZZ and 'Macbeth' which I am super-excited to see whilst it is in the theatres. Anyway, here is the teaser-trailer and attendant promotional website, which I have yet to check out. http://www.anthonyroyalarchitecture.co.uk/

5 comments:

  1. Awesome! 'High Rise' was my first J.G. Ballard too. I didn't know about the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw man, remember the Japanese band, Highrise? Rock n f'n roll!
    https://youtu.be/MMmkt5P_cfk

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. High Rise are one of the most excellent Rocknroll bands ever!!!! I will post some High Rise here for you sometime soon! Hooray! I am psyched for this movie!

    ReplyDelete